Morrison Tech will host a blood drive Tuesday, October 31st, 2017 between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm.
The students host blood drives throughout the year. The next blood drive is scheduled for Spring of 2018. Students, faculty and staff participate in the blood drive. Last year the school alone donated 51 units.
The drive is held in the Parkinson Auditorium located in the Administrative Building. The public is welcome to participate, appointments are strongly encouraged. For questions or to schedule an appointment please contact Scott 815 535 8408.
A few amazing facts about blood needs, blood supply and blood donors:
- Every 2 seconds someone in the US needs blood
- Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day
- More than 1.68 million people were diagnosed with cancer in 2016. Many of them needed blood daily and while undergoing chemotherapy treatments
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood
- The number of whole blood and red blood cells collected each year in the US is approximately 13.6 million
- The number of blood donors each year in the US is 6.8 million
- Type 0-negative blood can be transfused to patients of all blood types it is often in short demand
- The number one reason donors say they give blood is because they “want to help others”.
- Among Red Cross donors in a given year; 24% donate occasionally, 26% are first time donors and 50% are regular loyal donors
More information and facts about the American Red Cross and blood donations may be found at red cross blood.org